The clear and strong recommendation of the UPMS is not to travel abroad in the upcoming weeks!
Flights and airports are probably the most dangerous places to go at the moment (confined places, huge number of people). For this and other reasons we highly recommend not to travel back to your home country or any other places! Not even during your free time. If you still decide to travel we cannot guarantee that you can come back to Hungary and progress with your studies appropriately! And even if you will manage to return back to Hungary you will have to follow the regulations valid at the time regarding self-isolation/quarantine. The corresponding regulations are present and will be updated regularly on our website.
We suggest that you use the time during this period for learning, education purposes and further training. For the upcoming period - following the one-week spring break - a distance learning system will be established and communicated amongst the students in appropriate time.
Student card validation suspended
I’d like to inform you that according to the edict 41/2020. the student cards with the 2019/2020. I. semester stickers will be valid after 31st of March 2020.,
15 days after the suspension of the juncture. The Public Transport Companies will accept these student cards.
For the sake of the above mentioned and the prohibition of the institute visit, the validation of the student cards is suspended.
Thank you for your comprehension!
Central Registrar's Office
Useful information and advice
It became clear today that the novel coronavirus epidemic is entering the group infection phase, meaning that the new source of infection concerning the newly identified cases cannot be determined with certainty. Younger people often produce mild symptoms or can even be symptom-free carriers of the virus, therefore – considering the peculiar virulence of the disease – may pose significant threat to the elders of our community. Consequently, it is our responsibility to protect our loved ones and pay special attention to our environment!
It is crucial to comply with the preventive medical measures, to pay attention to hygiene, abstain from visiting public places and not to organize social events of more than 5 people.
We respectfully ask you suspend any form of travel, and only leave your residence of it is mandatory (for example to procure your basic necessities).
Concerning the situation above, we collected the procedures and recommendations of Hungarian authorities, that are easily adaptable and considerably lowers the risk of spreading the infection.
Useful information and advices:
- Do not go to high infection risk environments! That is the reason it is crucial not to travel but to stay at home!
- Avoid close contact with a person who might be infected! For example with someone recently visiting high-risk territories!
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly! As far as possible, clean your hands with soap or with hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol! Pay attention to the parts under the nail and between fingers!
- Ventilate and let in fresh air regularly! Concerning every closed space.
- While coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue, then throw away the tissue and wash your hands!
- Avoid contact with people, who are coughing or showing respiratory symptoms!
- Avoid all types of contact with those, who have a fever!
- Do not use masks unless producing respiratory symptoms (coughing, sneezing). Masks are made to prevent the user from getting others sick.
- Avoid the habitual greeting forms such as handshakes, kissing or hugging!
- Pay special attention to strengthening your immune system, via consuming sufficient amount of vitamins!
In case you have been visiting an infected territory recently, or you are unsure about your health status, we respectfully advise – in protection of your environment and your loved ones – to submit to voluntary quarantine for a period of 14 days. The guidelines regarding the magisterial and voluntary quarantine are the following:
Magisterial or voluntary home quarantine
We would like to emphasize that if you are involved in obligatory magisterial quarantine, the violation of the quarantine could entail serious legal consequences!
Those in quarantine cannot leave their residence until the epidemiological surveillance (14 days) lasts. You may not receive any guests. You are instructed to use you and clean your own household utensils (plates, glasses, cutlery etc.) and clothes properly. You are obliged to contact the general practitioner (GP) or the doctor in duty via telephone if you notice fever or respiratory symptoms (e.g. cough, shortness of breath) and have to follow the instructions provided by the doctors.
Stay informed from authentic and trustworthy sources!
- Follow the professional advises and instructions of the authorities!
- Share the authentic and trustworthy information with your friends!
Reducing the spread of the virus is our common responsibility! We are asking you to keep to and comply with the suggestions and instructions provided above responsibly!
PTE Hotline (+36 30 577 3764)
We advise you to contact the University Hotline in case you have questions regarding the coronavirus or if you are noticing specific symptoms. The hotline staff will provide you with instructions based on health provision protocols.
Stay at home, take care of each other!
The Student Union of the University of Pécs
How to get help if you get sick
Who can international students seek if they get sick during the state of emergency?
GP services are free-of-charge for UP international students at the UP Centre for Occupational Health and Safety during the state of emergency, according to the unanimous decision of the UP Operative Crew.
“Please keep in mind to only see the GP if really necessary, considering the epidemic.
Always call +36 30 867 3315 for an appointment before seeing the GP.”
- says Dr. Antal Tibold, head of the UP Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, adding that:
“The most important thing now is to
stay safe, which requires you to comply with the instructions and pay thorough attention to hygiene.
Wash your hands often, mind where you cough, avoid handshakes and kisses when meeting someone.
It is critical to avoid unnecessary risks. We ask all international students not to go in communities, avoid personal contact.
Only go outside in the most essential cases.
Avoid using public transportation if you can; and keep 1 meter in the line at the grocery store.
If you are afraid of being infected with coronavirus: showing signs of fever, upper respiratory disease, shortness of breath, then call the number given. Telephone pre-screening can protect students from many unnecessary errands. So:
do not go to the GP, make a call first! +36 30 867 3315.”
More info: https://hallgatofmk.pte.hu/
Announcement of the Tempus Public Foundation – for Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders
Dear SH Scholarship Holders,
With regards to the queries of several Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holders, we would like to confirm the following, in line with the position of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade:
- In view of the emergency situation, we recommend that scholarship holders do not leave Hungary and we strongly advise that you stay in your current place of residence. This is the safest option for you and your loved ones at home. If you stay in Hungary, you will receive the benefits provided by the programme: contribution to your housing and living expenses, health insurance, and the additional health services.
Based on the Stipendium Hungaricum Operational Regulations and applicable legislation, the following is worth keeping in mind:
- If the scholarship holders leave the territory of Hungary, they can do so only with the permission of the institution, and if they are absent for more than 30 days, they will lose their right to their living and housing allowance until their return, as these allowances are intended to contribute to their costs of living in Hungary. However, they do not lose their scholarship status.
- It is important to stress - especially in the case of the five countries that are denied entry (South Korea, Italy, Iran, China and Israel) - that there is no guarantee of your return. According to the current situation, the list of countries might be extended depending on the decision of the respective governments. Important update: According to the information provided today by the Prime Minister of Hungary, from Monday, 16 March 2020, the borders of Hungary will be closed from any international passenger traffic, meaning that only Hungarian citizens will be able to enter the country until further notice.
- In addition to the above, scholarship holders will of course still have the opportunity to suspend their studies (passive semester), through the procedure set out under Section 45 (2) of the Act on National Higher Education 204/2011. However, please bear in mind, that during the passive semester, scholarship holders are not entitled to their allowances provided by the programme. It is worth bearing in mind that, pursuant to paragraph (1) of the same Section, a continuous interruption shall not exceed two semesters unless authorized by their host institution.
Study in Hungary Department
Tempus Public Foundation
Letter from the Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Humanities
I would like to inform you as Vice-Dean for International Affairs at the Faculty of Humanities, University of Pécs. Currently, in response to the COVID-19 pandemia, Hungary closed its borders to non-Hunarian citizens. This means that only Hungarian citizens are allowed to enter Hungary from abroad. The situation is very similar in several European countries. Thus, I have the following advice for you: DO NOT LEAVE HUNGARY! If you do so, you might get stuck at borders or in airports.
With regard to educational issues, the Faculty (along with UP and each unniversity in Hungary) will switch to online education from 23rd March. We are all working to find the best solutions for this new mode of knowledge transfer. To date we do not know whether the exams at the end of the semester will be in person or online. We will keep you updated as soon as the respective boards will have made their decisions.
I would like to inform you that the following university services are available for you during the online education as well.
Student Counselling: http://counselling.pte.hu/
Legal Aid Clinic: http://legalclinic.hu/index.php/en/legal-aid
University Ombudsman: Dr. Dániel PÁL (Mr.) – via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org OR telephone: +36 30/9013-613 (Mon-Thursday: 8-13:00)
Information about the COVID-19 situation in English is available here: http://abouthungary.hu/
I wish you good health and a lot of strength for the days to come!
Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Humanities
Online learning – Microsoft Teams
From 23March 2020, all higher education institutions, including the University of Pécs, will switch to online learning. In online learning, your lecturer will have the opportunity to set up a course team within Microsoft Teams of MS Office 365, and coordinate student activities to earn credits. However, your lecturer may choose another platform, so please follow the faculty, department, and lecturer briefings, and if necessary, contact your lecturer by email.
As a student of UP, you already have access to Office 365. If you would like to use the services of the system then all you have to do is log in with your university account at https://login.microsoftonline.com/. Your username should be entered in the email@example.com format (e.g. EHAcode@tr.pte.hu, Neptuncode@tr.pte.hu, in some cases firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can find your Office 365 username in Neptun’s My Data/Contact information menu under Email addresses, with the Office 365 Type.
More information on using the system is available at the following link:
Please check your access by logging in regardless of whether or not your lecturer will be using Office 365 for the given course. If you fail to log in, please contact the support staff of PTE Service Desk ([email@example.com]firstname.lastname@example.org).
If your lecturer decides to use Office 365, then your course will be automatically created in Teams. Please do not create Teams independently without consulting your lecturer, as parallel Teams may lead to confusion.
With your cooperation, we can make a successful semester despite the extraordinary circumstances. Thank you!
Education Management Office
Covid-19 – General information and News for the students of the University of Pécs